Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Things are progressing...

First, I have to share some really great news! Last summer I began searching for a copy of The Big Tidy-Up by Norah Smaridge. I actually have this from my own childhood. It is one of my very favorite books about a girl named Jenny and her horribly messy room. In the end, she cleans her room and all is right with the world.... such a happy story that I can SO relate to! So anyway, my copy (a first edition I learned) had one page that was torn and the binding is very loose. I thought it worth the effort to replace this book as I had done with another favorite childhood book (Peter's Wagon). I found the other on ebay for about $3.00, so I thought surely I'd find some used book seller that had The Big Tidy-Up for a reasonable price. Oh my goodness was I in for a surprise. There were two listed on ebay and both were over $500.00! Evidently I had quite a rare and expensive book on my hands. I immediately removed it from the shelf and put it up for safe keeping. Now before you judge me for keeping good books from the kids, I do take it down and read it to them quite often, but we always read it together. After all, one page is already ripped! And until recently, I thought this was the last copy I'd ever see! Well, tonight I found this! In May of next year, the book is being re-released!! All for only $8.99! I can hardly wait. I will be on the pre-order list. In fact I would have ordered it tonight but since I have no idea where my address will be in May, I thought it best to wait a bit.

Next bit of good news is that we have an offer on the house. We knew it was coming last Friday as there was some verbal negotiations already (the offer is through another agent in the same office) but we actually have it in hand now. It is not the best offer in the world, but in this poor housing market, we have decided to accept it. In the end, it will give us what we need and enable us to get into another house. If all proceeds as planned, we will close the end of October. I'm hopeful that all will go through and we'll be on our way.

School for Jot has been difficult. The district isn't implementing his IEP as it is written and each night seems like another struggle to overcome. We are quite discouraged and even more eager to get out of this district and this state. He isn't getting the services and support that we spent so many hours on last spring trying to get straighten out. It is so frustrating. Hannah is doing quite well in her classes and Emma is progressing along as well, though neither situation is what we would like it to be. At least we have a plan to move on. I only pray that it is better elsewhere. We've tried to do our homework and have talked to several people, so I feel much more informed than when we came here. All that has to be good right? I haven't yet abandoned all hope that a good public school education still exists somewhere. I'm close to that giving up point, but haven't yet crossed that line. A return to homeschooling may yet be in our future. Only time will tell. If we do return to it, at least we'll be in a state that isn't considered the second worst homeschooling state in the nation!

Cool weather is here and the leaves are changing. I love this time of year!

No comments: